RIDE targets impaired drivers

Despite the presence of Barrie police on city streets for the annual RIDE program, drivers continue to be charged for alcohol-related incidents.
Last Friday police report they conducted RIDE stops in several parts of the city. In total, 458 cars were stopped resulting in one male being arrested and charged for driving over 80 mgs, 17 roadside tests were administered by officers, and two three-day suspensions were handed out for drivers blowing a ‘warn’ on the roadside device. A single seven-day suspension was also handed out along with a Highway Traffic Act VIP suspension, also for seven days, police report.
Arrests are down this year from last, but police remind the public that “one arrest is too many” and advise people that if they plan to drink, they should make arrangements to get home other than driving themselves.
While the RIDE stops are active, police continue to charge drivers in alcohol-related incidents through regular patrols.
On Saturday evening, police took a call about a car hitting a pole on Big Bay Point Road, east of Yonge Street. The caller further indicated that this car had left the scene and continued eastbound, police report, entering the LCBO lot on Big Bay Point Road.
When police caught up to the driver, it was determined he had been drinking. A Barrie man, 63, was taken to the station where he failed two breath tests at approximately twice the legal limit. He was subsequently charged.

In other police news:

Early Saturday afternoon, police report an officer observing a vehicle being driven by a male known to him. The man, 64,is currently not to be operating a motor vehicle and is also before the courts on previous criminal charges dating back to November, police report.
The vehicle was pulled and the driver was “arrested for drive disqualified and breaching the conditions of his current recognizance to be good and keep the peace.” He was taken into custody pending a bail hearing.
On Friday night, police took several calls about a male lying on the sidewalk with no coat or shoes on. Officers arrived and located the male. They quickly discovered the Barrie resident, 42, was intoxicated. He was subsequently arrested for being intoxicated in public place, for his own safety, police say, and transported to the station and held until sober.