Assault suspect held for bail

Barrie police have a suspect in custody in regards to an assault that took place Sunday in the downtown area.
Police report that they were contacted about 11 a.m. regarding the assault. Information was received that a group of males were involved in a verbal exchange, at which time one of the males walked away from the exchange. It was at this time a male (victim) walked down the sidewalk and was walking in behind the male suspect, police report. The male suspect allegedly took his elbow and drove it in the face of the victim, causing the victim to fall backwards, smash his head on the sidewalk, being knocked unconscious.
The suspect was last seen running north on Bayfield. The victim was transported to RVH and treated for non life threatening head injuries, police report. Officers were able to identify the suspect and broadcast to other uniform officers that the male suspect was wanted in connection to the offence.
On the 23rd at approximately 11 am, the male suspect was observed in the downtown area by a uniform officer. The officer immediately approached the male and arrested him for the offence of assault causing bodily harm. A 34-year-old Barrie male was arrested and held pending a bail hearing.

In other police news:

• A 60-year-old woman is facing two counts of assault on a 59-year-old man and his daughter.
Shortly after 7 on Sunday evening, officers were called to a residence regarding a family dispute. Once there the officers were met by a female victim who advised that she had been assaulted by her father’s girlfriend. During the investigation it came to light that the father had also been assaulted. As a result, the women was arrested and charge. Injuries were minor and no medical treatment was required.

• A post-mortem has determined that a Barrie man died from a medical condition, and no criminal charges are being laid. On Friday, police responded to a fight call between residents at a city address. Investigators advised that two males where involved in a verbal altercation which turned physical. At the time of the physical altercation the deceased male was attended to by paramedics where he was absence of vital signs. He was eventually transported to the Royal Victorian Regional Health Centre where he was pounced dead.

• Barrie Police Service responded to an east-end residence after someone reported a neighbour hitting a propane tank with a hammer. Police spoke with a 61-year-old Barrie man who advised he was trying to remove the copper fittings for monetary benefit. Officers gave the male some safety advice before something tragic occurred