Mind the stove and smoke alarms

Following a recent fire at an apartment building in Barrie, the city’s fire services is reminding residents to be attentive when cooking and ensure smoke detectors are in working order.
The fire at the apartment was detected by the building’s fire alarms, and no one was hurt. However, upon investigation it was found that of the units in the building, only two had working alarms.
“Only working smoke alarms can save your life. If the smoke alarm is activated by cooking then use the hush button to silence a false alarm but never remove the battery,” says Fire Chief John Lynn. “Leaving cooking unattended is often a recipe for disaster.”
The fire department released these tips to prevent such flare-ups:
• Cooking is a major cause of home fires, so don’t leave the kitchen if there’s something cooking on the stove. If a pot catches fire, don’t try to move it. Cover the pot with a lid to smother the flames and turn off the burner.
• Drink responsibly and keep an eye on those who do not. Excessive alcohol consumption is a contributing factor in many residential fires.
• If the smoke alarm activates when you’re cooking, do not remove the batteries. Try moving the smoke alarm, or install an alarm with a hush feature.
• Lit candles should be placed in sturdy candleholders that won’t tip and covered with a glass shade. Candles should be situated away from children, pets and any combustible items.
• Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
• Install working smoke alarms on every storey of the home, and outside of all sleeping area. Failure to comply with regulations for fire alarms can result in a ticket of $235 or a fine of up to $50,000.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Thank you for subscribing to City Scene Barrie

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.