Mind the stove: fire chief

A cooking pot left of a stove is being blamed for the fire last Sunday morning that took the life of Bryan Armstrong, a 21-year-old Georgian College student from Caledon.
Two other people died in Ontario from similar causes, and the Barrie Fire and Emergency Services is encouraging people to remain alert and vigilant while cooking during the holidays.
“The hustle and bustle of the holiday season means it can be very easy to become distracted and called away from the kitchen,” Fire chief John Lynn said. “Unattended cooking is the leading cause of residential fires in Ontario. People must stay in their kitchen to keep an eye on their cooking.”
The fire began about 6 a.m., Sunday. When emergency crews arrived at the scene, they found the fire fully engaged. After entering the residence, firefighters located Armstrong, who was transferred to Royal Victoria Hospital. He subsequently died from his injuries.
When emergency crews arrived at the scene, they found the fire fully engaged. After entering the residence, firefighters located a single male who was transferred to Royal Victoria Hospital. He subsequently died from his injuries.
A funeral is planned for tomorrow (Saturday) at the Mayfield United Church in Brampton. The Egan Funeral Home in Bolton is the venue for visitation today (Friday).

Lynn offered the following tips to prevent cooking fires.

• Stay in the kitchen while you cook, particularly if you are using oil or high temperatures. If you leave for any reason, turn off the stove.
• Keep combustible items like cooking utensils and paper towels a safe distance from the stove.
• Keep a tight-fitting lid near the stove when cooking. If a pot catches fire, suffocate the flames by placing the lid on the pot and turning off the stove.

Share

Comments on this entry are closed.