• From The City
The Government of Ontario has declared a state of emergency and a stay-at-home order for the entire province, effective at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, April 8. This order will remain in place for four weeks. As well, a provincial shutdown remains in effect for the province.
A state of emergency, which has been in place for over a year, remains in effect for the City of Barrie.
The Provincial stay-at-home order requires everyone to remain at home and only leave for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, attending school or essential work, accessing health care services, or for outdoor exercise. All travel should be avoided.
Please note the following is subject to additional input or further restrictions by the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit. The following measures are part of the Provincial stay-at-home order, but are not limited to:
• All non-essential retail stores are closed but can offer curb-side pickup and delivery, via appointment, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. Big box and discount stores can be open for selling essential items only
• Restaurants remain closed but can offer take-out, drive-through and delivery
• Outdoor public gatherings are still restricted to a limit of five people. Wearing a mask or face covering is recommended outdoors when you cannot maintain physical distance
• Businesses must ensure that any employee who can work from home, does work from home
• Immunization clinics remain open
What does this mean for Barrie residents? The following framework outlines the City services affected as part of the stay-at-home order. Previous measures remain in effect for City services and now also include the following: City Hall:
• City Hall is closed but the City’s customer service centre, Service Barrie, remains open for pre-booked, in-person appointments. Call 705-726-4242 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment. Residents are encouraged to use the City’s online services as much as possible
• The Planner of the Day is available to answer planning related questions online or by phone only. Email email@example.com or call 705-726-4242
Barrie Public Library:
• The Barrie Public Library remains closed for in-person visits. Express pick-up of materials, online programs and coaching sessions, wireless and remote printing services, and access to the Digital Library continue. Returns are accepted at both outdoor return slots 24/7
• The landfill remains open with a reduced capacity (10 vehicles at a time). Please wear a mask and keep two metres away from others while visiting the landfill
For the most up-to-date information on the status of City services, visit barrie.ca/services. The City encourages residents to support local and take advantage of curb-side pickup. To learn more about the supports available to businesses through the pandemic, visit barrie.ca/SupportforBusiness.
City staff continue to take reports regarding violations at 705-739-4241 firstname.lastname@example.org. For detailed and up-to-date information on the local vaccination plan, visit the Health Unit’s website.