City staff have now completed clearing all public lands (ie. roads, sidewalks, boulevards, parks) in the affected tornado area. Police will release the site this afternoon but will continue to have a dedicated police presence on scene for the next few days.
All fencing has been installed around building/sites with significant damage and City crews completed street sweeping last night.
The City will be hiring a contractor to assist with chipping trees. Residents are asked to bring tree debris to the curb and phone 705-728-8442 to ensure collection. For non-tree tornado debris, residents are asked to continue to use the large public bins located in the area or along the park frontage of Coronation Parkway.
City building officials continue to review engineering reports and clear Unsafe Orders as requirements are met. Building staff will remain onsite at the City’s information centre located in the trailer near Saint Gabriel’s School (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) throughout the week to help facilitate resident inquires. If you need any assistance, call the tornado assistance line at 705-728-8442.
Ongoing public information about the situation and resources are posted on our website at barrie.ca/TornadoRecovery. Please also follow the City’s social media channels for updates.
- Tornado assistance line for affected residents: 705-728-8442
- Service Barrie: 705-726-4242 (press zero after hours)
- Email ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca if you wish to be added to a list to offer assistance/donations
- Ontario SPCA support for anyone who needs temporary housing or food for their animal:
- Barrie Public Library Painswick branch: offering computers, free wi-fi and laptops that can be borrowed in-branch for anyone that needs internet and computer access
- Red Cross number for residents directly affected: 289-206-8275
- Ontario 211: Community and Social Services: call 2-1-1 or visit https://infobarrie.cioc.ca/
- Canadian Mental Health Association Simcoe County: cmhastarttalking.ca
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or kidshelpphone.ca
- Victim Services: 705-725-7028 ext. 2120 (After Hours Only: 1-866-923-3938)