• From The City
On Wednesday, Ontario will now move into Step Two of the Roadmap to Reopen plan. This phase is focused on low-risk activities with slightly larger gathering limits allowed than in Step One, including the following:
• Outdoor social gatherings and organized public events for up to 25 people, while maintaining physical distancing
• Indoor social gatherings and organized public events for up to five people, while maintaining physical distancing
• Outdoor dining for up to six people per table
For Step 2, essential retail capacity is at 50 percent and non-essential retail capacity is at 25 percent. It will also permit more limited indoor settings to be open, such as personal care services, with safety restrictions in place.
Updates to City services
• Service Barrie: The City’s customer service centre, Service Barrie, will remain open for in-person by appointments only. Call 705-726-4242 to book an appointment or visit barrie.ca/contact for more information on how to make an appointment. Residents are encouraged to continue to use the City’s online services to easily apply for small building permits, pay for parking or speeding tickets, and more.
• Day Camps: Outdoor summer day camps will start on July 5 for children ages 6 to 12. The outdoor camps will run at five locations: Lampman Lane, Parkview and Dorian Parker community centres, Tyndale Park and the Barrie Community Sports Complex. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, City of Barrie camps have introduced several new safety procedures. All programming will occur outdoors as per the Step 2 Provincial regulations. Registration is open.
• Landfill: The landfill remains open with a reduced capacity (10 vehicles at a time). Residents are encouraged to wear a mask and maintain physical distance from others. Recycling boxes and green bins will be given out at the Recycling Depot ONLY, or by making an appointment to pick up a bin or box from City Hall (by appointment only through Service Barrie). Alternatively, residents can call 705-739-4219 to request delivery of bins to their home.
• Recreation/Community Centres: Closed for indoor use except for high-performance athletes and day camps. Virtual fitness classes continue to be offered and select Centres have now added outdoor fitness classes. Visit play.barrie.ca for details and to register.
• Sports Fields/Courts Bookings: The City of Barrie Recreation and Culture Department is reviewing the new regulations with the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit and will be permitting outdoor sports leagues, games and events beginning July 1. To book a time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Development Services: The Planner of the Day is available to answer planning-related questions in person by appointment on Wednesdays. Planning questions can also be answered by email (email email@example.com) or by phone (705-726-4242), Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Barrie Public Library: The Downtown Branch of the Barrie Public Library will reopen on July 5 for in-person services including browsing and computer access. Maximum 50 patrons at a time, and visits are limited to 60 minutes or less. The refresh of the Painswick Branch is anticipated to be complete in time to open July 5, but this may be delayed. Check barrielibrary.ca for updates.